Most parents probably could tell you that being a parent takes courage. It is an adventure full of unknowns, and in which both parent and child will persevere, will face dangers- real or imagined and of course be faced with difficulties.
As I reflected on my own parenting courage with each of my children, I also became aware of some different kinds of courage that I needed to be willing to be so that I can be more empowered to be me and to empower my kids to be all that they can be. I thought it would be interesting to list some of these "courage challenges" here and see if you identify with any of them.
- The courage to be seen- to not hide away.
- The courage to lower my barriers and to be vulnerable.
- The courage to be different and willing to not be affected by the judgment of others.
- The courage to stand in my own awareness and to trust myself.
- The courage to ask the questions that will bring truth to any situation, feeling or thought.
- The courage to seek help when allow others to contribute to me and my life.
- The courage to let go of distractions and to be present every moment.
- The courage to see my kids for their unique talents and abilities, however strange or different that may be.
- The courage to be willing to see myself wholly, not just the good parts, but to acknowledge the places where I have been unkind and uncaring and begin to choose a different path.
- The courage to choose, not from right or wrong but from what I know and trust.
Throughout the years of being a parent, I have grown into being more courageous and by doing so, I have enhanced my life and invited more joy, peace and confidence, especially as it relates to my children. These courage challenges have come to me through my experience of parenting, but they have expanded into all areas of my life- health, career and other relationships- increasing my ability to live a fuller conscious life that I create for my benefit.
Yes, being a parent takes courage and it can expand your courage into areas you never knew existed before. To hear more about my courageous adventure in parenting and to receive more insights and inspiration listen to this replay of Parenting with Courage on Inspired Choices network or your favorite podcast platform.